The route starts at the free parking layby on Ulwell Road. Alternatively, you could park in Swanage and start from there. Turn right out of the car park following the road for a short distance, then take the bridleway on the left. This is a tough climb with a gradient ranging from 7 – 15% and quite rocky in places.
After going through the gate near the top, the last section of the climb gets gnarlier and quite technical. At the summit you are rewarded with panoramic views of the Purbeck hills and the sea in the distance. Continue west along the trail enjoying a series of fast, open descents!. When you reach the radio mast bear left and join the narrow singletrack. Take care here as this descent gets very loose and technical towards the bottom.
At the bottom of the trail go right until you reach the main road. Take a left here then an immediate right onto The Square. Follow the road around to the left for about ½ mile until you reach a turning circle and cattle grid. Go left here onto the bridleway with a sign for Corfe Common. When you go through the gate bear right and follow the trail across the fields until you reach a main road.
- Atleast 60% of the ride is off-road
- Wonderful panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills, Dorset coastline and Chapman’s Pool
- Some challenging but rewarding technical climbs
- Several fantastic ridgetop and fast, rocky descents
- A 2.5 mile gravel descent near the end of the route
- Getting to Chapman’s Pool requires doing an extra out and back loop
Other Mountain Bike Routes in the area
Isle of Purbeck, Dorset